Just another day at the office.

Just another day at the office.
Just another day at the office.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Robidoux Roundup report

Well Saturday was one heck of a show down at the Robidoux Roundup! This was my 4th and hardest Expert(Cat1) XC race. The St. Joe crew once again did a killer job putting on a top notch local race. Thanks guys, I know its a lot of work putting on a race, and believe me, It was appreciated! For those of you that weren't there, see the bottom caption, and you missed an epic race. This course has more climbing than the XC national race I competed at in 2010 at Granby Colorado. Read more below.

In the above pick I look like a man who is possessed, but actually I'm trying to fake myself out into thinking that the climbs were my bitch! Notice the big clod of dirt in my helmet? Yes, I took a little dirt nap! LOL, well I saw some stars anyway, and knocked the ear piece off of my Oaks! I have a raspberry on my forehead and a slight blackened eye, but I don't think I was concussed. This race is definitely my nemesis, I had a difficult time last year also. I only felt OK at the start of the race, but I had a decent start. With a combined Cat 1 start, it was the biggest field start as a cat 1 that I have been in so far. Going into the trail head was pretty surreal, we had a little mound that we all hit at speed just a few feet before the singletrack. We were all catching air, which isn't unusual except we were all in close quarters. I had guys in front of me in air, guys next to me in air, myself in air, and guys behind me getting set for air. It wasn't like we were sailing that high, but it was definitely interesting none-the-less. Anyway, I hit the trailhead fourth overall and 2nd in my age group, shortly after, I let my teammate Travis go by me cuz he is much faster than I, and I wasn't about to block him! Unfortunately, when I gave him room to slip by, so did another guy in my class. This wasn't a big deal, I just got on his wheel and gave her hell, but within a few miles I took my digger on an off camber corner that was pretty loose. I came into the corner way too fast and immediately realized the danger, I tried to shave some speed with my brake, but grabbed a little too much. Over the bar I go! Not sure how long I was off the bike, but I think it was just a few seconds. After I climbed out of the bushes and pulled my bike out of the way, approximately 7 guys passed me while I was checking myself over. Once I found the pieces to my Oakleys I shoved them in my pocket and continued onward. A few minutes later JP Shores pulls up to me and gives me a call out, but I was dazed and didn't realize it was him until I nearly made a wrong turn off the trail. He then whipped by me like a man with a plan! I was a bit surprised that he had caught and passed me so soon, he has been training really hard, and man it showed on Saturday! When I made the wrong turn I had seen the ribbon blocking the way, but my brain processed it incorrectly and hell I don't know, maybe I was concussed afterall? Anyway, I chased JP for the rest of his race and kept him in sight until the last mile or so when he attacked the climb out of the lap. I tried hard to catch him but It wasn't happening today, he was just too strong. I pulled it together somewhat for my last lap and reeled in a couple of guys from my group, including Todd Fridley, to finish 5th. Todd had raced me at Neosho on Sunday, I was ahead of him by 30+ seconds when he flatted to finish his day at Neosho. So, in a way, the Roundup was our little rematch. He gave me the closest XC finish ever, I wanted to chat with him afterwards, but I couldn't breath and I was at a loss for words. The results say I got him by 1 second, but I know it was closer than that, because I felt him brush my rear wheel as we crossed the finish line. That guy is one heck of a climb sprinter!
The pick below is of JP Shores, he is one of my best friends and a fierce competitor. Look at the determination in his eyes! This pick was taken shortly after he passed me, so I know he was trying to bury me alive! With friends like that, who needs enemies? Right?? LOL. No he truly is a great friend, I would have been pissed if he would have raced it any differently. Great Job Bro!




The picture below is JP and I at Nationals last summer in Colorado, If it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't have been able to go! Someday I'm gonna pay him back for everything, but he just tells me to pay it forward. What a guy! OK, enough of the sappy shit, JP I'm gonna train harder then ever! YOUR goin' down! LOL.


Speaking of Nationals, I received my official qualification notice to race as a cat1 at Sun Valley Idaho this year for my 3rd place finish at Slaughter pen Hollow back in November. I don't think I'm gonna go this year, because I start grad school this summer. I think I will just concentrate on training this season and in the off season for an attempt at nationals in 2012. Realistically I'm probably a year of training away from contending anyways.



This guy was at the Robidoux Roundup and he is pissed at you guys that didn't show!!!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the props! I was shocked to catch you!! I did not realize you took a header!! I did not get to talk to you much after the race, I had announcer duties. We had another great race weekend as a team. I cannot imagine what our team results will look like in our 1st year as a combined team. Crazy! Time to dig in and get super fit before I am lining up with you as a Cat 1!!!

    ReplyDelete